Friday, January 16, 2009

Coffee and High Blood Pressure - Connection?

by Christian Goodman

It's no surprise to my friends and family that I pride myself on living a healthy lifestyle. This is why, I suppose only half-joking, that they refer to my daily Grande coffee from Starbucks as my "vice."

A friend recently told me to "watch out," while at Starbucks the other day as I drank my coffee because her doctor told her that coffee can contribute to high blood pressure, or hypertention.

I wondered to myself what advice the doctor gave to my friend about food intake, alcohol intake and smoking. All three of these things my friend does tend to partake in to excess.

I had to assume the doctor stressed to my friend that smoking, alcohol and being overweight are all high contributors to her increased blood pressure, as there is considerable evidence that these things do contribute to high blood pressure. But coffee?

I have read no studies where it states that there is a causal link to coffee and hypertension.

Some studies have shown that drinking coffee does raise one's blood pressure slightly, but only temporarily. In fact, these same studies have shown that over time, this slight increase in blood pressure is reduced.

These same studies also admit that when drinking coffee on a regular basis, this temporary increase in blood pressure disappates.

So why even mention coffee and hypertension? What studies have shown is that coffee can often times partner certain unhealthy behaviors - smoking and over eating.

No. Rather, the studies have shown that people associate the negative lifestyle (cigarettes, over-eating) with drinking coffee. My same friend has foregone her cigarette break if she doesn't have coffee, indicating that the cigarette, "Just doesn't taste the same."

This combination of behaviors is where I'd like to see more research. I've read incredible stories about people who switched from coffee to green tea and see all sorts of positive changes, including lowered blood pressure. What wasn't expounded upon was whether or not they gave up their cigarettes and pastries as a result.

Based on evidence, I do not believe that drinking a cup of coffee, even every day will cause high blood pressure. If I believed that, I wouldn't drink it myself.

Regardless of why you have high blood pressure, I think you will benefit from my High Bood Pressure Program. I've seen and documented incredible results from this simple, natural cure.

If you suffer from being overweight as well, I would suggest my Weight Loss Breeze Program.

Christian Goodman is a well known health researcher and author of several revolutionary alternative healthmethods. One of his breakthroughs is his hypertension treatment. You can learn more about Christian on his Natural Health Alternative Blog.